Honesty and Ethics

 This week my biggest take away is "Integrity".  Always operate with integrity.  While there are many different definitions, they all come back to the same basic concept. I have always told my employees that "Integrity is what you do when no one is looking".  (I'm not sure exactly where I heard this, but I know it is not of my creation.)  This means that in order to have integrity you can't just make the right choices when you think someone is watching.  You must always make the right choices, even when you know no one is watching.  What you do when no one else is watching is truly what determines your character.  My boss operates on a theory, and it is a heartbreaking one, "If you give someone the opportunity to be dishonest, they will."  He talks about this with all of his managers to ensure they are doing everything they can to keep all employees honest.  If everyone has the value of integrity, this theory would not be needed.

Additionally, I learned that I definitely do not want to borrow money from anyone.  Investors seen to be a big part of business, I want to invest in myself.  I believe that if my children and I work hard, and save up our own initial investments we will appreciate it more.  It is our own "Sweat equity".  I believe we will be more wise with our spending, more frugal, more cautious with our decisions, etc.  If we have to work hard for everything we put into the business we will be less likely to waste what we have.  I don't want someone else to have the authority over our dreams.  I will devise a business plan, where all of the start up money comes from us.

I look forward to learning more about definite do's and don'ts in business.  And then determining for myself what will and what will not work for our business.

Comments